This page is a series of videos for the purpose of connecting with Latin learners during social isolation. There will be some mistakes. Latinitas is not the priority goal with this series of videos. The primary goal is to connect with students with short messages in Latin during these extraordinary times. Even so, I want to be better at Latin. Please offer constructive feedback for any mistakes you may find with an email.
There are 3 simple ways to practice Latin right now.
- Return to this page every so often for updated videos and suggestions for reading for the day. Or subscribe to comprehensibleantiquity on youtube, follow me on instagram or like the West Des Moines Latin page on facebook.
- Complete lessons on Duolingo.
- Read and complete exercises at Operation Lapis.
Video #5 March 31st, 2020 – Persea Magna est canis.
Daily Reading: Operation Lapis Codex
- Are you at an appropriate place within the readings? Are they too easy?
- Don’t forget to look through all resource tabs with the reading you choose for today.
Daily Reading: Operation Lapis 1.3
- Notice there are 2 texts.
- The grammar section and Cultural sections have informative videos.
- Consider the comprehension questions at the bottom of the attunement section.
- Habesne cenam cum familia?
Video #3 – March 25th, 2020 – Corpus Movete! – Quid tu agis ut tu de coronario viro non putes?
Daily Reading: Operation Lapis 1.2 or move further down the list if yesterdays reading felt easy. Consider:
- Use all the resource tabs on the page as they seem helpful.
- If you decided to jump ahead in readings, consider reviewing the skipped pages, especially the vocabulary and attunement sections to check how much you understand
- Respond to the poll below to join the small talk conversation.
Video #2 – March 24th, 2020 – Crines Longos – Quid tu vis te egisse ante coronarium virus?
Daily Reading: Episode 1.1 at Operation Lapis. Consider the following:
- Browse each section, especially the verba and key text tab viewable after you click episode 1.1
- Do you recognize much of the vocabularyvocabulary? Is the passage easy to understand? Listen or read the passage as many times as needed for understanding.
- How difficult are the activities found in the attunement section?
- Read the grammar section if you wish but focus on comprehension in the other sections if you are limited for time.
- If the passage was too easy, consider exploring passages further down the list for your reading tomorrow.
Video #1 – March 20th, 2020 – Introduction to simple Latin reading at home.
An introductory video to encourage simple reading of Latin at home. Use >operation lapis as a resource for understanding Latin texts that are about ancient Rome.